Evaluative Report

Evaluative Report

From the Unit 5 ‘The Smart City’, I have experienced new technologies and many companies which I could not imagine ever. It was definitely great chance. I was thinking our lives are going to be changed as much we cannot expect, however I did not have opportunities to experience real machines and technologies which many companies are using now. This session supplied me to these things. Above all, when I was observing and touching the tool, it made me more curious and intent. I will write some most interested parts of this session.

Firstly, at the ARUP company, I learned the architectural technology in the future, and observed ‘ The Polibot’ which is a mechanical robot to construct buildings. It was a very high technical system with using open source technology, also it has a advantage by reduction of investment costs. On the other hand, I worried about loss of labor. With sudden changes due to rapid development of scientific technology, we sometimes overlook the people who cannot follow this alteration with their poverty. I felt both science development and economical growth should be on a par, and if not, the ideal is hard to be realized.

Secondly, DIF which is called Disruptive Innovation Festival was one of my favorite chance in this session. It was not a visiting company, not had a chance to meet designer, but I could spent much time to enjoy this online festival. If I had more time, I would spend much time to watch these all videos. By experts’ varied opinions, definitely, my sight which receive each different fields without prejudice could be wider. With ‘Move Fast and Break Thing: A Perspective on the Digital Economy’ and ‘Meeting Society’s Needs in the Fourth Industrial Revolution’, there were a two obvious common features. First thing was that both experts do not think to only one direction. They were interactive, receptive and creative. Their attitude that treat new technologies curious was shown to me. Second thing was that they are currently learning to the new technology. They are expert, however the new technologies are not completed and those are being progress. I was surprised that they are teaching and learning at the same time.

By visiting and experiencing Camden Council, Holition, Tekja and those two thing, I realized these new technologies have been developing and pervading to our society.  They are surely most key thing in the Fourth Industrial Inovation, and making people lives more convenient. On the other hand, They have each advantages and disadvantages. we should know their information accurately, and judge what is good or bad our selves. Our future will be getting unpredictable compared with passed past. More and more straggler can be generated. However, we live in society of community, and rapid development and economical gap cannot ignore it. It could not be their aim as well. They will seek the best way to coexist between human and technologies. By combination of all discipline and fields, creative thinking and experiencing variety of technologies could be a our responsibility to build Real Smart City.